1. Size standard particles have long been used as size references to estimate the sizes of other particulates, biomolecules, and living organisms.
2. Particle size standards can also be utilized to conduct routine instrument calibration,development and testing of particle sizers, particle counters
3. Instrument QC: check for instrument problems and shifts in laser function, check the calibration curve shape, etc.
4. Equipment efficiency studies: vial cleaning, contamination studies, filter testing (including filter leaks), broad distribution material analysis.
5. Spacers: liquid crystal displays, precision microelectronics
To serve as a size reference, the particle size and size distribution of the monodisperse microspheres are determined by established standard methods.
These well characterized size standards have become valuable in applications including microscopy, physical measurement of micron and submicron sizes, study of colloid systems and equipment efficiency.